Social Paws’ role is to connect. Your role is to vet your matches beyond our introduction. We recommend getting to know one another and building trust gradually.
Safe Dog-Sharing 101: Getting to Know One Another
Message through our app and then get to walking! Team Social, offer to walk a dog you dig. Team Paws, offer some dog-time to a sweet family or student. Chat a bit before the dog-walk or walk together, covering:
Establish your human connection
- How long have you both lived here?
- What do you both hope to get out of dog sharing?
Get to know your dog(s)!
- What is their personality?
- What are their funny quirks?
Get specific around safety
Disclose all potential safety risks.
For Team Paws (the dog-owners)
Disclose everything about your dog.
- Is your dog an escape artist?
- Does your dog get car sick?
- Is your dog aggressive around certain populations?
- Does your dog pull, chew, dig?
You know your dog best, and it’s your responsibility to share openly and answer questions honestly about your dog.
For Team Social (the dog-carers)
Be honest about your experience, level of understanding, and capability with dogs.
- Is your house and backyard dog-friendly, what are potential hazards?
- How much experience have you had with dogs?
- What should you do when approaching another dog with their dog?
- What is the plan if something goes wrong – i.e. the dog is unwell, gets injured or escapes.
Safe Dog Sharing 101: There is no obligation
If at any point, either team isn’t comfortable, move on. With dog-sharing, it’s important that both parties feel confident and excited to dog-share together. If you suspect that someone doesn’t have the right attitude, or is a risk to our community, report this to us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Safe Dog Sharing 101: Build Trust Over Time
Once both parties feel ready and excited to move forward into dog-sharing, start small and build trust over time. Let Team Social take the dog on their own for a walk and see how that goes. All good? Let the dog can stay over for a few hours while Team Social works from home. Pup came back happy? Let the pup can join in for an adventure the next time Team Social heads out for a hike. Build trust over time with short shares: visits and walks, before moving into longer shares: day trips and overnights. Watch a demo!
Safe Dog Sharing 101: Ongoing Communication
Always keep open lines of communication. It may be that you’re both sharing fun comments and cute dog photos most of the time, but reliable communication ensures that when there is an urgent need or emergency, you are available to one another to ensure the best possible outcome for your shared dog.